Thursday, October 4, 2007

SUPERNATURAL SEASON 3 Starts Tonight-What Are Your Thoughts?


It’s here! It’s finally here! Season 3 of the hit CW Series, Supernatural.

Two years ago, I was working part time cleaning a private school in the evenings and I can remember coming home, tired and sore, needing time to unwind when I stumbled across a gem of show on it’s original timeslot, Tuesday nights. It was new, about two brothers, looking for their dad, as well as the demon that killed their mother and tried to take the younger brother when he was only 6 months old.

Okay, I was intrigued. I love the paranormal, so I watched the pilot.

Holy Impalas! What a show. There was no fluff; no stereo-typical scares or costumes; no mediocre acting. This show had possibilities.

Let’s start with the acting.

Jensen Ackles, who portrays the older brother, Dean Winchester—NAILED that character. He plays the rough-around-the-edges brother, forced to hunt the supernatural and take care of his brother at a young age. He’s strong, kick-ass, uncouth, sarcastic, witty, sexy, shows a touch of vulnerability here and there, and the attitude? Wow. There’s almost no gray areas with Dean. It’s black and white. “If it’s supernatural, we kill it.” Of course, just as there is in real life, Dean discovers there are always gray areas, like in ‘Bloodlust,’ one of the vampire episodes. Jensen embraces this character and makes him so believable I sometimes forget Dean is not real. Jensen is that good.

Jared Padelcki, who portrays the younger brother, Sam Winchester, is perfect for the role. He plays the Stanford drop-out who’s girlfriend was murdered by the same demon that killed his mother and tried to take him as a child. He’s strong, yet vulnerable, compassionate, smart, tall-at 6’4”, more up-to-date with the times, and scared he’ll turn evil because the demon has plans for him. Jared has a playground of emotions to work with here, and he works them well.

As you can tell, I love Sam and Dean, I love the music, the incredible car but the real reason I continued to tune in to the CW on Thursday nights at 9PM, is because of Eric Kripke and his crack writing team! As an author, I find it hard to watch a show without dissecting it, wanting to change things, make comments like: “They should’ve done this…or that’s not possible…not real.” I’ve NEVER ever said that after a single episode of Supernatural. THAT makes the show a clear winner in my book.

Do I own Season One and Two boxed sets? You bet! I’m lucky enough to have a birthday in October, so for two years now, I’ve purchased the DVD sets and TOLD my husband and kids they’re giving me that for my present. LOL. Works well. Two of my four children are faithful watcher of the show, anyway. As a matter of fact, one of my twins is dressing up as Sam Winchester for Halloween and his friend, Will is dressing up as Dean. Should be interesting.

Episodes. What are your favorites?

I have many but if I must narrow it down, then in Season One, I have three: “Faith”-What happens when you stop someone from dying who’s meant to die? An innocent takes your place. Brilliant! “Home”-The boys come face to face with their dead mother. Sniff. Yes, I cried. And “Hellhouse”-By far the funniest dang episode to date. My kids and I still go around saying… “Who ya gonna call?” Man, too funny. I hope those amateur ghost hunters show up on another episode.

In Season Two, all the episodes rocked, but if I must narrow it down, then I have two: “What Is, And What Should Never Be”- Dean encounters a Djinn and has the chance to live out his days as if the demon never happened. Thought-provoking episode. Oh, yeah. I cried. That was such a tough choice. I’ve no idea what I would’ve done in Dean’s shoes. And “Heart” –The boys encounter another ‘gray area’ when they try to cure an innocent girl who was bitten by a werewolf. Powerful episode.

Needless to say, I’m looking forward to the start of Season Three tonight. I sure hope Eric and his team can keep up the tight writing! They’re adding two female characters this season: Ruby—a very capable hunter who will be introduced on tonight’s premiere episode. And Bella, who hunts, but I think is ruled by a ‘higher’ power…and is searching for something. She debuts in two weeks, I believe. Those characters will have reoccurring roles and they sound interesting enough for me to give them a chance.

What are your thoughts? I’d love to know what you think. Which episode was your favorite and why? Who’s your favorite character? Please leave a comment and don’t forget to spread the word about the wonderful world of Winchester!

If you’re interested in keeping Supernatural alive and making sure it doesn’t die like “Dresdin Files”, then check out these links and see what you can do to spread the word:

http://www.myspace.com/team_winchester


http://www.teamwinchester.com/TW_mainpage.htm

Be sure to drop by tomorrow when I'll share my thoughts on tonight's 9PM Season 3 Premiere and you can share yours.

9 comments:

Maggie Toussaint said...

Donna, I have watched a few episodes of the Supernatural recently. The acting is edgy and cool and I'm hooked too. Great post!

Maggie Toussaint said...

My computer is acting wonky, so if my earlier post is also here, forgive the double post. I am a recent convert to Supernatural and love the edginess of the series.

great post, Donna!

Pamela Yakel said...

Hey Donna. i'll be watching with you tonight.

in a household of seven my son(14) and I are the only ones who watch.
we don't miss a episode.

Enjoy the show, We'll be right there beside you:)

Pam Y

Donna Michaels said...

Thanks, Maggie.

I love the 'edgy' feel of the show. It's out-of-the-box thinking which speaks to me.:)

Donna Michaels said...

Sweet, Pam!

I'm making my hubby pick up our oldest from college tonight because he doesn't get out until 8:50 and it takes 40 minutes to get hom.

That won't do..hehe I'll be supernaturaling it by then.:)

Beth Caudill said...

I love supernatural. So glad I checked tonight about it starting new again.

Been with it since the first episode. The cliff hanger to season 1 was a shocker and season 2 started with a bang.

Beth

Donna Michaels said...

I agree, Beth.

I'm looking forward to the 'kick'off tonight. I happened to read what next week's episode is about and my jaw is still dropped. I'm already counting down till next week...hehe

And I hope Ruby's character works out. I like the idea of a kick-butt girl showing up here and there.

Anonymous said...

You lucky ones.
In germany the first! season is finish, and the second season begin at October 2008!!!!!
But the cliffhanger betwen first and second has made me crazy.
So i`ve buy the second season by ebay. It´s an import from France with german language. I´ve think the third season comes in ouer tv in 2009. (I hope). My favorit is Dean.
Greatings from Cologne Germany
I hope my english is not so worse than i´ve think. ;o)
Maria

Donna Michaels said...

Hello Maria,

Dean is my favorite, too! I'm so sorry you have to wait so long to partake of such a wonderful show. But believe me, it's so worth the wait!!

~Donna